Afya Elimu Fund is a joint venture between IntraHealth Internationals Inc’s FUNZOKenya project, the Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) and the Kenya Healthcare Federation (KHF), in collaboration with the Ministries of Health, Education and Planning and Devolution.
The Afya Elimu Fund, a vision 2030 flagship project, is a loan mechanism where students can annually apply for part of their tuition fees. The fund attracts a joint participation of the private sector, Faith based Organizations (FBOs), Ministry of Education (MOE) and The National Treasury. The ultimate aim of this initiative is to create a self-sustaining revolving fund from which students will continue to access financial assistance to enrol into health sector related courses.
Currently, students can receive a maximum of KShs. 50, 000/= per annum. The fund assures students of continued health training devoid of disruption due to lack of tuition fees thereby significantly reducing the students’ drop-out rates.
The County Government of Kakamega together with the Afya Elimu Fund which is a partnership between the Higher Education Loans Board (HELB), the USAID funded Human Resources for Health (HRH) Kenya Mechanism and contributors from the private sector invites applications for the 2017-2018 Kakamega County Afya Elimu Fund Loan Program.
The purpose of the Fund is to offer affordable loans to needy students (low family income, orphans and differently abled among others) admitted into their first year and those continuing training at the pre-service and, post basic levels. This announcement specifically targets needy students who are Residents of Kakamega County admitted in middle level medical training institutions (listed on HELB website) such as Kenya Medical Training College, Faith Based Organizations and other institutions offering Diploma and Higher Diploma medical courses.
- Students admitted to accredited middle level medical training institutions
- Priority will be given to students taking specialized health professional courses
- Must be a resident of Kakamega County
- Previous applicants of the national Afya Elimu Fund from Kakamega County
How to Apply:
- First time applicants should access and appropriately fill the 2017-2018 First Time Kakamega County AEF Loan Application Form [LAF] from the HELB website helb.co.ke.
- Print TWO copies of the duly filled LAF.
- Have the printed form appropriately filled, signed and stamped by the relevant authorities and guarantors.
- Sign the form and attach all the necessary documents as indicated in the checklist appearing on the last page of the LAF.
- Present the two copies of the LAF to the Kakamega County Education Department.
- Leave one copy of the LAF and all the attached supporting documents with the Kakamega County education office.
- Retain one copy of the duly filled LAF
For a pleasant online experience, please ensure that you read, understand and follow the instructions provided at the beginning of the online loan application process.
THE CLOSING DATE FOR THE LOAN APPLICATIONS IS 29th SEPTEMBER 2017
For more information please contact:
The Chief Officer
Kakamega County Education Department
The Chief Officer
Kakamega County Health Department
The Chief Executive Officer
Higher Education Loans Board
Nearest Huduma Center
How We Make A Difference
Partners in the Afya Elimu Fund agree that unless there is a sufficient fool of qualified, well-trained professionals, universal healthcare will not be realized as enshrined in the Kenyan constitution. The objective of the Fund is to provide financial assistance to support pre-service training for needy students in the specific areas of nursing, clinical medicine, laboratory services, nutrition and health records information technology so that the current health worker shortage will reduce significantly.